Saturday 10 October 2009

A2 Media Coursework Childrens TV Drama and Research

For my coursework I am going to be doing the Children's TV Drama. I have chosen to do the TV Drama because I want to experiment with new equipment and elements which I believe you don't get to achieve with the music video.
Before I even start thinking about what I'm going to do for my TV Drama I've got to do some background research and look at other Children's TV Drama's opening sequences. From looking at these I should get a rough idea of what my Drama's outcome might look like. Here are a few opening sequences I've looked at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE1ohP4Nols

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Vu4rJM_jo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mamDkCnSiR4

After watching these opening sequences several times I can see that the main conventions of a Children's TV Drama includes:

# Bright lights and colours
# Location and costumes the target audience can relate to
# Easy to catch on music
# Animation
# Several different camera shots
# Loud Non-diagetic sounds
# Fast paced editing
# Simular Mise-en-scene

I liked how animation was linked in with real kids in the opening to Tracy Beaker. I also liked the fast paced editing in the opening to MI High as it pulls the target audience in by building up tension.
However I didn't like the Grange Hill opening sequence as there was not much camera shots and editing also you never got to see the location or actors which I think is very poor.
From watching these open sequences I have already came up with rough ideas of what my Children's TV Drama might end up like. At the moment I really like the idea of animation and real kids being mixed together.
However I have to keep a very open mind at this stage and need to do more research into different Children's TV Drama and how they are made.

This year is going to be very different from last years work I did. My researching and planning was totally different as I was looking at an older target audience and market. However this year I will be looking at a younger target audience and market and im looking forward to doing this.
My film last year was based at a late teenage target audience and teenagers are still classed as children and as Im doing a Childrens TV Drama I can use elements of last years work and new research to help me make my Childrens TV Drama.

1 comment:

  1. This research is very minimal. Consider how in depth your analysis of TV drama was in the first year!

    You are being asked to use appropriate terms to conduct detailed and extensive analysis of childrens Tv drama title sequences.

    ReplyDelete