Wednesday 14 October 2009

Am I a Auteur?

After looking at Redundancy and Entropy we started to look at "Auteur's" and there influence on other real media texts. In this blog post I will be understanding the meaning "Auteur" and seeing if I myself am a "Auteur".

French Film directors in the 1950s like Francois Truffaut advocated a focus on the contribution made by the director on the style and from of a film. This is in direct contrast with other perspectives on film which advocate looking at how the film develops as part of a generic history. Also auteur theory differs to "Genre theory" in that it points our attention towards what is different between films, rather than what is similar. Clearly many media texts are meant to be considered as products of individual creativity and many are simply "products".

Genre Theory focuses on:
# Generic similarities
# How texts are determined by historical/social/political contexts
# How texts emerge as commercial products from an industry

Auteur Theory focuses on:
# Individual stylistic features
# How texts are determined by artists creativity
# How texts emerge as part of an artists body of work

Looking back at my AS coursework I can see it was very generic as I wanted to use a lot of conventions from real media texts. However this year I still think my work is generic in some ways as I've looked at conventions from real media texts, but I also have put my on unique twists in.
This year my work is very original as me and my partner are thinking up new ideas which haven't been used before. Just like in my coursework last year we followed a simple plot then shocked the audience by throwing in a twist at the end. This year the same idea applies as I am a person who likes to shock the audience when watching something generic.
Therefore I believe I am an "Auteur" as I like to use my own ideas my work. Looking at the idea of "Auteur's" has been interesting and has given me ideas of how we could develop our idea even further.

No comments:

Post a Comment